MICaB Graduate Program
Main navigation |
Fang Li, Ph.D.
Yale University, 2002, Ph.D.
Structural virology, structural cancer biology
Our research focuses on two areas, structural virology and structural cancer biology. First, we study the structural basis for the receptor recognition mechanisms of viruses. Specifically, we investigate the structures and functions of virus-surface spike proteins and their interactions with host receptors. Second, we study the structural basis for tumor growth and invasion. Specifically, we investigate the structures and functions of tumor-cell-surface enzymes that are critical for tumor angiogenesis, invasion, and metastasis. Based on these structures, we further develop novel therapeutic strategies to treat virus infections and cancer development. The research tools we use include X-ray crystallography, electron microscopy, protein biochemistry, molecular virology, cell biology, and animal experiments.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Kailang Wu, Guiqing Peng, Matthew Wilken, Robert Geraghty, Fang Li. 2012. Mechanisms of host receptor adaptation by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 287, 8904-8911.
- Fang Li. 2012. Evidence for a common evolutionary origin of coronavirus spike protein receptor-binding subunits. Journal of Virology, 86, 2856-2858.
- Guiqing Peng, Dawei Sun, Kanagalaghatta Rajashankar, Zhaohui Qian, Kathryn Holmes, Fang Li. 2011. Crystal structure of mouse coronavirus receptor-binding domain complexed with its murine receptor. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 108, 10696-10701.
- Kailang Wu, Lang Chen, Guiqing Peng, Wenbo Zhou, Christopher Pennell, Louis Mansky, Robert Geraghty, Fang Li. 2011. A virus-binding hot spot on human angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 is critical for binding of two different coronaviruses. Journal of Virology, 85, 5331-5337.
- Weikai Li, Fang Li. 2011. Cross-crystal averaging with search models to improve molecular replacement phases. Structure, 19, 155-161.
- Yuxuan Hou, Cheng Peng, Meng Yu, Yan Li, Zhenggang Han, Fang Li, Lin-Fa Wang, Zhengli Shi. 2010. Angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) proteins of different bat species confer variable susceptibility to SARS-CoV entry. Archives of Virology, 155, 1563-1569.
- Kailang Wu, Weikai Li, Guiqing Peng, Fang Li. 2009. Crystal structure of NL63 respiratory coronavirus receptor-binding domain complexed with its human receptor.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 106, 19970-19974.
- Fang Li. 2008. Structural analysis of major species barriers between humans and palm civets for severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus infections. Journal of Virology, 82, 6984-6991.
- Fang Li, Wenhui Li, Michael Farzan, Stephen Harrison. 2006. Interactions between SARS coronavirus and its receptor. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, 581, 229-234.
- Fang Li, Marcelo Berardi, Wenhui Li, Michael Farzan, Philip Dormitzer, Stephen Harrison. 2006. Conformational states of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus spike protein ectodomain. Journal of Virology, 80, 6794-6800.
- Wenhui Li, Swee-Kee Wong, Fang Li, Jens Kuhn, I-Chueh Huang, Hyeryun Choe, Michael Farzan. 2006. Animal origins of the severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus: insight from ACE2-S-protein interactions. Journal of Virology, 80, 4211-4219.
- I-Chueh Huang, Berend Bosch, Fang Li, Wenhui Li, Kyoung Hoa Lee, Sorina Ghiran, Natalya Vasilieva, Terence Dermody, Stephen Harrison, Philip Dormitzer, Michael Farzan, Peter Rottier, Hyeryun Choe. 2006. SARS coronavirus, but not human coronavirus NL63, utilizes cathepsin L to infect ACE2-expressing cells. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 281, 3198-3203.
- Fang Li, Wenhui Li, Michael Farzan, Stephen Harrison. 2005. Structure of SARS coronavirus spike receptor-binding domain complexed with receptor. Science, 309, 1864-1868.
- Yong Xiong, Fang Li, Jimin Wang, Alan Weiner, Thomas Steitz. 2003. Crystal structures of the Bacillus stearothermophilus CCA-adding enzyme and its complexes with ATP or CTP. Molecular Cell, 12, 1165-117.
- Fang Li and Thomas Steitz. 2003. A novel method of determining the number of macromolecules per asymmetric unit from accurate crystal-volume measurements. Acta Crystallographica, D59, 1793-1796.
- Fang Li, Yong Xiong, Jimin Wang, HyunDae Cho, Kozo Tomita, Alan Weiner, Thomas Steitz. 2002. Crystal structures of the Bacillus stearothermophilus CCA-adding enzyme and its complexes with ATP or CTP. Cell, 111, 815-824.
- Fang Li, Jimin Wang, Thomas Steitz. 2000. Sulfolobus shibatae CCA-adding enzyme forms a tetramer upon binding two tRNA molecules: a scrunching-shuttling model of CCA specificity. Journal of Molecular Biology, 304. 483-492.